About FPC Weaverville
We are glad that you are here! We welcome all who desire to meet with us as we worship. Our goal
is to worship and glorify the living God of Creation and His Son, Jesus Christ. We invite you
to join our Church family in our time of worship, instruction and fellowship.
The First Presbyterian Church of Weaverville, North Carolina (PCA) exists to praise and magnify the name of God, bringing people to Christ and uniting them with the Covenant Family, developing them to Christ-like maturity and equipping them for ministry to the Church and to the world.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
- We believe that the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God's truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally and in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God's displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone, as He sovereignly chooses those He will save. We believe His choice is based on His grace, not on any human individual merit, or foreseen faith.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His Covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God's people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people unto Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
WHAT IS THE PCA?
The Presbyterian Church in America ("PCA") was formed to be a denomination that is "Faithful to the Scriptures, True to the Reformed Faith, and Obedient to the Great Commission."
The PCA is an Evangelical and Reformed Presbyterian denomination. By Evangelical, we mean that we emphasize the gospel (good news of salvation) through faith in Jesus Christ, as well as affirming other orthodox Christian doctrines and holding to the inerrancy of Scripture.
By Reformed, we mean that we are connected to the teaching of the historic church and the doctrinal beliefs recovered by the Reformation. These doctrinal beliefs are expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith with the Larger Catechism and Shorter Catechisms. All officers of the Presbyterian Church in America must personally subscribe to and uphold the teachings of the Westminster Confession of Faith.
By Presbyterian, we describe our representative form of church government. Local churches are governed by a "Session" of "presbyters" (elders), elected by the members of the congregation. Representatives of local churches within a geographical area compose a "presbytery." Representatives of presbyteries meet annually at "General Assembly." Thus, through the combined efforts and resources of all of the churches, we are enabled to advance God's Kingdom much more effectively. The Committees and Agencies of the PCA help lead this Kingdom to work.